Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Battery [ cables location maintainance meter removal replacement specification specs tender upgrade

82K views 437 replies 131 participants last post by  clueless 
#1 · (Edited)
I received a text from my salesman today. He was just letting me know that the other red SL they sold left the guy stranded today. The battery cable was loose. I checked mine and it was fine. I just thought it was worth mentioning because its to easy to check it rather than walk....

I thought it was nice of the salesman to give me a text about it. :D

I just went out and check it again and wiggled it a bit.. It was actually looser than i first thought.

#6 ·
Who needs a working battery from the factory?!? :facepalm:

Just put it in gear and push start it each time you want to go somewhere. :p;)

I really have a feeling that I will want to help me dealer set mine up and check for all these issues that have been brought up. Afterall, I probably have a better list for lookout items then the techs and I have watched the same service videos as them.

Reactions: Dan Janssen
#7 ·
Who needs a working battery from the factory?!? :facepalm:

Just put it in gear and push start it each time you want to go somewhere. :p;)

I really have a feeling that I will want to help me dealer set mine up and check for all these issues that have been brought up. Afterall, I probably have a better list for lookout items then the techs and I have watched the same service videos as them.
Most of these issues really are the fault of the dealer either rushing through them or just not knowing what to do yet.

#9 ·
I watched them drive these units off the truck in delivery videos. They were fully ready to roll and had some fuel in it. I know there is a dealer pre delivery check sheet but I would expect the battery cable to be tight from the mfg facility.

#13 ·
I heard that the batteries covers were left off and cables disconnected at the warehouse. So many of these units are just being hooked up quick to get them loaded and unloaded. The dealers are not going through them properly, some of it is our fault, everyone is in such a frenzy to get their hands the wheel the dealers are just doing the best they can right now in the rush. Things will get settled down after this initial release.

#18 ·
I think most of them are covering themselves by calling the fee "Freight."
But yeah, theres dealers charging set up too and they might have to actually take a wrench to one of these for about 10 mins here and there.
Theyre gonna start charging more, and I dont mean the battery.

#11 ·
Everyone should inspect their new SS and send the bill (setup fee) to the dealers. Seriously if someone is paying over $1000 (in some case over $2000) for the set up fees for the vehicles that are not properly inspected should be able to get a refund with a valid argument and a decent lawyer.

#12 ·
Have not seen an official checklist yet but unless they are arriving in a bunch of very small pieces (which we know they are not as they are driven off the trucks) then any dealers charging prep fees are just skinning buyers for extra cash. All my new sleds arrive in a crate and require some time and patience to setup properly. I don't pay any setup fees on those either.

#14 ·
Let me take a crack at this check list....

1. Take off shipping dust cover
2. Unload
3. Take off plastic pieces on roll bar hoops
4. Walk around and drool a bit
5. Open the hood (most cant do that properly) and have a look
6. Drool a bit more
7. Put on the side mirrors
8. Take a seat in the cockpit
9. Drool a bit more
9. Take a couple of pictures to show your friends and family
10. Put on the back panel/cover to conceal the battery and cables
11. Put in some fuel
12. Done

When people get excited about something new or rushed, small things are going to come up. As long as a wheel doesn't fly off or the motor blows because there is no oil, I think it will be just fine.

#20 ·
I am wondering about the lack of builders pride and inspection of our machines. Are we sure they aren't built in an Asian
I am wondering about the lack of builders pride and inspection of our machines. Are we sure they aren't built in an Asian country.?
Since when did Iowa became Asian Country where Slingshot are Manufactured.

#21 ·
I know they are built in Iowa, but missing bolts, broken speaker tabs, loose battery cables, poor body fit etc etc aren't good signs for an established American vehicle manufacturer of a $24,000 vehicle where first impressions are so important.

#23 · (Edited)
Yeah, no doubt about battery cable, negative cable was removed by hand, & battery cover was not fastened. Which brings me to the subject of charging your Slingshot when your battery goes bad.

There's no convenience access battery terminals in the trunk area. And you have to practically lay down to remove battery panel, and connect jumper cable terminals. Also four fasteners (two torx screws, & two push-in type) can be an inconvenience especially when no tools are near by. So install your own convenience terminals...

Get two battery cables' (red & black) and two 3/8" bolt & nuts' from store:

1. Drill four holes in the storage compartment (~1/2" drill bit).
a) two in the bottom corner
b) two for battery terminals (3/8" bolt) mounts.

2. Connect +/- battery cables to existing terminal wiring set.

3. Run both cables through storage compartment.

4. Fasten two bolts and nuts through compartment and secure to new battery cables.

And that is it. Keep in mind rear body moldings will have to be loosened to access storage compartment.

Hope this can save some headache (& backache) for Slingshot folks when you need a jumping, or to charge another vehicle.

P.S., If you're RECEIVING a jump ensure negative cable is attached to steel portion of vehicle (frame of driver's seat), not the battery terminal.

#28 ·
Yeah, no doubt about battery cable, negative cable was removed by hand, & battery cover was not fastened. Which brings me to the subject of charging your Slingshot when your battery goes bad.

There's no convenience access battery terminals in the trunk area. And you have to practically lay down to remove battery panel, and connect jumper cable terminals. Also four fasteners (two torx screws, & two push-in type) can be an inconvenience especially when no tools are near by. So install your own convenience terminals...

Get two battery cables' (red & black) and two 3/8" bolt & nuts' from store:

1. Drill four holes in the storage compartment (~1/2" drill bit).
a) two in the bottom corner
b) two for battery terminals (3/8" bolt) mounts.

2. Connect +/- battery cables to existing terminal wiring set.

3. Run both cables through storage compartment.

4. Fasten two bolts and nuts through compartment and secure to new battery cables.

And that is it. Keep in mind rear body moldings will have to be loosened to access storage compartment.

Hope this can save some headache (& backache) for Slingshot folks when you need a jumping, or to charge another vehicle.

P.S., If you're RECEIVING a jump ensure negative cable is attached to steel portion of vehicle, not the View attachment 2939 View attachment 2940 View attachment 2941 View attachment 2942 View attachment 2943 battery terminal.
Great job man!

#29 ·
I was trying to install a battery tender lead to my Slingshot to make it easier to charge the battery in the winter months and when I read the above also found my negative cable to be only finger tight. But during the process I found an alternate method to charge the battery without doing any modifications at all. If you were to say put the back of your head in your drink holder and look straight up you will find (at least on the SL model) a 12 volt power outlet the is hot all the time. Deltran sells a very inexpensive adapter to their battery tender that allows you to plug into a 12 volt power outlet to trickle charge your battery. I did not know there was a power outlet there and found it by accident but it could be pretty handy in keeping a phone charged or a GPS powered if you did not want to use the one in the glove box. Hope this is helpful

#37 ·
I'd go thru the items on the checklist here especially the wires dealing with the steering. My dealer had it for several days before I got it and I didn't find a single item that I had to address that was on the list. Of course, we have lots of time now until it warms up again to do that unfortunately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.