Battery access and Maintenance

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Photos/Videos' started by Samowens44, May 13, 2016.

1. Samowens44

Samowens44 Sam, Gail & Snazzy

Thanks Received:
    A loose terminal is a failure just around the corner from no start. Remember it is not always the positive red lead that is the problem, Ground terminal needs to be checked also for tightness. I am so glad that you folks are checking your batteries. Water level is important, don't let the level get down below the top of the plates. Don't overfill either, just up to where it bubbles. You get boil over and causes your battery cage to to have corrosion from acid eating paint off. Next time you change the battery get a maintenance free as replacement. Terminals good and tight and a terminal dressing to cut down on corrosive action and you should only need to take cover off every 6 months and look at terminals.

2. Samowens44

Samowens44 Sam, Gail & Snazzy

Thanks Received:
    Always check for tightness of the connections on both terminals by trying to twist the terminal with you hand. You should not be able to turn them. Loose terminals will cause a build up of a carbon back material that will insulate the connection over time and you will not have enough current to start your motor. Lights will come on, but the connections is the trouble. This condition confuses a lot of folks. It is all about Ohms Law. Resistance reduces current. Resistance is a loose connection.

3. jacjac171

jacjac171 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone know if on the 2016 SS if the battery is a sealed one? I was just wondering about that and thought id ask if anyone knew the answer to that. I cant get on my hands and knees to even think about popping that cover off so I was just wondering about that.

I sure have never seen a one year old battery look as bad as yours did Sam. Its nothing against you of course, but it amazes me as to how bad it looked. I recently had the battery changed on my truck. It was about 5 years old and it looked almost as bad as yours did after a year, wow! I guess maybe because the battery is located so low and maybe up higher like in a truck its maybe better protected from the elements, I could be totally wrong about that but it makes a little sense to me anyhow.

Great video Sam as usual! Ive sub to your You Tube channel as well. You make me laugh a lot times when you're explaining things which I enjoy that part of it, hence the subbing to your channel! Thanks for all that you contribute to the SS! Take care and looking forward to more videos!!

4. bikerbill

bikerbill Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Page 72, 2016 owners manual; says battery is sealed type and " never pry sealing strip off or add any
    fluid"

5. jacjac171

jacjac171 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey thanks for the info on that! I can't believe I missed that in the book or actually already forgot the info.
    I'm wondering now if the sealed batteries will age better, worse, or the same as the kind that can be opened. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate your response, thx!

6. bikerbill

bikerbill Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Hard to say;so many variables affecting battery life. Out here in the desert where i live, 3 years is considered good;however my original battery in my 2006 chevy hhr lasted 8 years.

7. Belzbug

Belzbug Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    How long will a SS battery hold a charge when not being driven. Do use a battery tender but just curious if anyone knows.

8. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    My battery is getting replaced in the spring.

Lead batteries are yesterdays news. ;-)

Lithium batteries are featherweight, last much longer, charge much faster and usually have more power than their comparable lead acid battery.

My motorcycles lithium battery has been sitting in the garage for over a year with no charge and still shows 3 blue lights (full charge). ;-)

The next time you are at the auto store, ask them to show you a lithium battery. Hold it. You will not believe how light they are.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Neosolidus

Neosolidus Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    which brand are you going with? Linky linky

A buddy of mine payed an ungoldly amount for one (~$1300), if you are racing or doing timed attacks i would see the benefit but for every day use other than bragging rights, i just don't see the point.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Blitzkrieg

Thanks Received:
    Nah. With the online coupon code at advanceauto.com you can pick one up for about $200 +/-.

I don't know the sizing group of the SS (not going to pull my battery out tonight to find it and it's not in the manual) but this is what I have in my bike and putting in the SS:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...y-lfp-6/10570096-P?searchTerm=lithium+battery

There is no bragging right. I don't even tell people I have one unless asked or the topic comes up. It's a battery LOL.

But 6 lbs lost is free horsepower.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Neosolidus

Neosolidus Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    he tracks his 997 and has been on the slim down the piggy bandwagon, i remember him saying that it was like a 31 pounds lost on the battery.

now for the price you mention i can see it as a reasonable thing to do (200-300) that is only slightly more than the optima redtop i run on all my vehicles but when my buddy rob said $1300 my jaw dropped.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Blitzkrieg

Thanks Received:
    A Duc 997???? No way. I had a Duc 999R and there is no way in hell a battery on any motorcycle much less a Duc weighs remotely close to 31 lbs. Maybe I am misreading.

Not sure what he paid $1300 for maybe I am not getting something here. But yeah, the price for the Lithium I am talking about is very reasonable for the end result and they don't freeze, you can install them upside down if you want to.

Look at it this way: My turbo SS is running 6.X lbs per HP. By replacing the factory boat anchor battery I just gained over one HP w/o even opening my hood. :)

• Funny Funny x 1