Battery access and Maintenance

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Photos/Videos' started by Samowens44, May 13, 2016.

1. Samowens44

Samowens44 Sam, Gail & Snazzy

Thanks Received:
    Folks, battery failure due to ignition or lights left on can be a nightmare. On the Slingshot, it is even more of a nightmare. The Battery terminals are hidden behind a panel that no one knows where. Sam Owens to the rescue. This video will show you all you need to know about the Battery, location, maintenance, how to remove and install. All Slingshot Owners should be required to watch this video. I hope this helps someone.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MISTERZ06

MISTERZ06 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Another Great Video
    Thank You - Samowens44
    carol & i recommend that you put Grease on both positive & negative battery terminals to prevent corrision
    you can use auto grease, white lithium grease, Dielelectric grease or Vaseline Petroleum Jelly
    the end of battery terminal corrosion
    Battery corrision.jpg
    ............................ tom n carol

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. anotherone

anotherone Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    and dont forget to do the easy peasy addition of the external battery posts in case you need a jump

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. SLINGSHOOTER

SLINGSHOOTER Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Sam; YOU the MAN ! Another great instruction vid. Now I need to check mine. Been avoiding it since I didn't know what to expect. Thanx :happy:

5. Ulflyer

Ulflyer Slingshot Supporter Slingshot Supporter

Thanks Received:
    Another way to remove corrosion is to mix baking soda with a little water and pour on the terminal; it will boil the bad stuff right off. Then flush it off with water. Certainly not a thorough as what Sam did, but if you don't want to pull the battery out, its a cheap fix. Let it dry and add whatever "grease" you want. I keep a spray can of stuff made just for batteries. You can also use chemically treated felt "washers" that go over the terminals
    to prevent corrosion. At any auto store for about a $1 or so.

6. Rando

Rando Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Living in dry AZ has its advantages. I checked my battery and the terminals were clean as a whistle!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. SLINGSHOOTER

Thanks Received:
    Well, Sam: I did my battery maintenance today, and Glad I Did ! I tried to follow your instructions, but I got one backwards. I thought I was supposed to arc my wrench across both terminals, but when I saw the sparks,:dummy: I remembered I was supposed to avoid that.:cool: Anyhow, I cleaned the corrosion off the + terminal, coated it with dielectric grease, & re-installed both cables. Then when I tried to re-mount the battery, I found the cables were too short.......or possibly I installed them in the incorrect orientation (wishing you were here,Sam):rolleyes: Starting over, I reoriented the cables, & forced the battery back into it's rack and buttoned her back up. One of my most exhilarating maintenance episodes !

Addendum for subsequent battery maintenance: Use a T35 bit for the cover fasteners. Use a 1/2" SAE wrench for the locking block & battery terminals. Call Sam for emergencies & fires.:dead:

• Like Like x 1
  8. SLINGSHOOTER

Thanks Received:
    One more suggestion: When you remove the battery cables, be SURE you take note their orientation so they can be re-installed the same direction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Shortshifter

Shortshifter New Member

Thanks Received:
    A sealed battery "maintenance free" one is a must IMO. Non sealed batteries can allow battery acid to seep out through the caps.Along with a battery tender.

10. Samowens44

Samowens44 Sam, Gail & Snazzy

Thanks Received:
    @SLINGSHOOTER, sorry for the sparks, but I clearly said to avoid doing that. Now the guys that do this all the time will insulate the handle of their wrench with tape or anything that will keep the wrench from coming in contact with both battery terminals. You could event wrap a shop cloth around the handle. Proper tools are a must on any project. My goal of the video is make folks aware that they should check their battery or have someone do it if they don't feel like they can do it. A battery can cause you a eye injury if you short the two terminals along with damaging the battery. Small fragments of molten metal will fly out for the shorting. You should wear protective glasses when working around a battery for this reason. Now let's all learn from the accident Slingshooter shared with us. Please folks, be careful when performing battery maintenance.

11. wjfyfe

wjfyfe Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I just checked ours after going through our very wet winter here in Oregon, we found the terminals clean also, but I did lube them up while I was in there...........

Bill and Justina

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. AVB

AVB Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Checked mine this weekend. The ground lug connection was loose enough I could turn it with my fingers

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1