Another Youtuber review - Hated it!

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Photos/Videos' started by Sling ding-a-ling, Oct 15, 2016.

1. WingShot

WingShot ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot

Thanks Received:
    Haters are gonna hate!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. jacjac171

jacjac171 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Haha, yeah I noticed that as well!! Thats why I gave his overall persona a 50% for pompous a$$ and 50% nerd, lol. I actually think he enjoyed it as well. He looked like he was having a blast. He waved at all the people who were waving and honking their horns at him while he was driving it. So yeah, I agree he looked like he was having a good time. I guess he thought he would get some additional feedback by putting it down. Which he is getting many comments for sure, haha. Have a good one

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sling ding-a-ling

Sling ding-a-ling Well-Known Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Yes indeed. It is tough to hide the Slingshot "perma-grin"!

4. RevDynamics

RevDynamics Supporting Vendor Staff Member Supporting Vendor

Thanks Received:
    Maybe he is mad because his $20k slingshot gets more attention than his super cars. Honestly though the SS isn't about being the fastest, most quiet, comfortable vehicle of all time. Its about fun and does that very very well. Always puts a smile on my face.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. dfrederick

dfrederick Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Democrat

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. WI_Hedgehog

WI_Hedgehog Winner of the "Most Factory Defects" award Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I thought his review was "pretty good." He only addressed YouTubers in that stupid "hey everyone" way once at the beginning. Sure, his attempt at humor kind of bombed where the blonde wanted to hitch a ride until she saw him (and he blames it on the Slingshot--dude, she thumbed you over--it's you), and at the end she's asking if it's his dad's car, but whatever, for YouTube it's pretty good.

What I give him credit for is he touched on what the Slingshot is, pretty weak in the brake department, flappy plastic hood, and 4th really lets a person down. Drifting does look lame. Oh, and the shocks suck. Compared to a sports car it is really weak in stock form. At least he didn't bash the steering wheel and whatever that is Polaris uses for a shifter.

He did miss the mark in that it's also half the price of a sports car (or less), chicks do anything to get a ride (at least that's my experience), and it's a lot of fun. If I drove a stock Slingshot in some god forsaken country where there was nobody to comment on the looks (like Iowa), uh, it wouldn't be as much fun. (I should note Polaris fixed the hood flap, kind of a responsible thing there.)

Given the previous comments you might think I'm as much of a tool as...as..., whatever his name was. However, look at the mods that go on here--most people customize something initially and keep going until they really love their Slingshot. Many dump $5,000 into it and then add a turbocharger (another $5,000 or more). Stock is a good canvas that people love to paint.

---
    Let's take an obligatory moment to clear the air, if you're a flower bender we know you love your almost-completely-stock Slingshot, but we also know you made a few changes. You're probably still grabbing the "adult toy store stock shift thing," and that's your business, we're happy for you.
    ---

I'd like to give recognition to @MICKEYFD for his idea and execution. That's one noticeable ride!
    4617-1471749078-c66cb6adb568614922f0e95c868b5bd2[1].jpg

If you're not aware, I love Slingshots and seeing what other people have done with them. Owners tend to be awesome, plus come up with really cool stuff. The Slingshot isn't perfect, but is an affordable "concept car" that you can do otherwise unimaginable things to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. allknowing2012

allknowing2012 Member

Thanks Received:
    I am sort of with you WI_Hedgehog. He noted some of the reasons why I haven't purchased yet... I keep wondering "Why are so many for sale so soon after purchase?" - people seem to buy one and the novelty wears off quickly or appears to. Now if you have a good club/group to go out with then that is a super big plus! For now, I will continue to read and wonder and perhaps jump in at some point (winters are not nice in my area)..

• Like Like x 1
  8. coz375

coz375 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    What did Polaris do to fix the hood flap?

• Like Like x 1
  9. WI_Hedgehog

WI_Hedgehog Winner of the "Most Factory Defects" award Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Adjustable hood bumpers instead of pads and stronger latches

hood_bumper.jpg
    hood_bumper2.jpg
    hood_bumper3.jpg
    latch1.jpg
    latch2.jpg

Winter is cold here also, I'm working on that... LOL

Some people buy Slingshots on impulse, or thinking they'll be like a "fun car," and they're not, they're more like a concept car where compromises are inevitable. Others like to mod and try new things, then sell for the next toy (space and maintainance becomes an issue at some point).

Motorcycles also sell with low miles on a regular basis, so apples-to-apples it's reasonable. The great thing is you can buy used with or without extras for 2/3 the price of new, or if you are okay with an expiring warranty (which you can extend before it expires) 1/2 price is sometimes available--in that respect it's like getting a 2 year old car for half price! (Maybe you can even get it with a roof, who knows.)

They are loads of fun, until you own one it's hard to understand why. Even then the newness of year one does wear off, although it's still a blast.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Slingsomeday

Slingsomeday Active Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm with you Hedgehog. This guy pretty much hits on all the stuff that Slingshot owners complain about on this forum. If I had all the cars that he has in his garage, I probably wouldn't be too impressed with the Slingshot either. Fixing the stuff he complained about, short windshield, mushy brakes, crappy ride, not enough power are all things that are constantly discussed and upgraded on this forum lol!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. coz375

coz375 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I live in North Eastern Ohio. To put it simply, our winters suck. I've been storing vehicles for the winter for the forty years that we've lived here not wanting to destroy them in the winter. That includes cars, motorcycles, boats, and now the slingshot. We are just one example, but we bought ours in May of this year. It was our fortieth wedding anniversary gift. We have put 4000 miles on it and in no way are we tied of it. We actually like it more now because we are learning what it can do. Changing the coilovers was the key. My wife's thrill is to blow past Harleys! I guess the key is that my wife wanted it as much as I did. We go everywhere in it together. She drives there and I drive back. Don't like clubs so it's just us. She always says "its like riding a motorcycle without the stress". To keep this post legal I'll have to say that the you tube reviewer strikes me as a guy that would never like a vehicle like the slingshot, or a motorcycle for that matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. sjambok

sjambok Slingshot Supporter Slingshot Supporter

Thanks Received:
    [QUOTE="WI_Hedgehog, post: 393105,]

"Winter is cold here also, I'm working on that... LOL" [/QUOTE]

Hedge, are you working on a studded rear tire so that you can pull your ice fishing shack out on the lake?

• Funny Funny x 1