Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Aftermarket pioneer head unit.

5K views 31 replies 6 participants last post by  SpaceCowboy 
#1 ·
Has anyone used slingmods back up camera harness? I can't seem to get it to work and get a warning that the image might be reversed....

Seems like it doesn't switch to reverse mode and I get that above message.

Wondering if I'm doing something wrong here. Very frustrating.

I have the 4200NEX

#8 · (Edited)
If you are getting a black screen with the image reversed warning that tells me that the connection for the reverse signal is working ok. The Pioneer has switched to the back up screen, it's the camera or the signal from the camera that doesn't work. Be sure that the camera rca wire is plugged into the Brown rca jack and not the Yellow.

#9 ·
Ok. I think I have found out the issue, but would be interested if anyone else has successfully accomplished.

I have a base model and I purchased the OEM camera. In speaking with the SlingMods manufacturer of the harness, I was told that others have had the same issue. Seems like the harness works only for installations which came stock with the camera (Not the base model).

My question is specifically related to purchasing the OEM camera and adding it to a base Model Sling and installing with aftermarket head unit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#20 ·
I put in a pioneer 4200 in a base (16.5). I used an aftermarket camera in the stock (for SL) camera housing, and ran an RCA cable myself. Works perfectly. Camera I used Amazon.com: Pyle PLCM12 Rearview Backup Parking Assist Camera (Waterproof Night Vision Cam, Distance Scale Line Display, Flush Mount): Automotive

You will also have to tap into a wire in the passenger rear taillight, and run it to the headunit to switch to camera with reverse, or you can wire to a switch at the dash to hot (advantage is you can turn on any time...).

With what you are saying though, and trying to use the harness you have, I would make sure the camera is plugged into the camera in (brownish yellow) and NOT the video in (bright yellow). Go into camera settings on the unit and make sure setting for backup camera is turned on (mine was NOT). If that does not work, make sure the camera/video (separate setting) is on, then try reverse and switch to camera selction on main radio menu. If you get the camera then, it is plugged into the video in vice backup. Finally, the pioneer takes several video formats for the camera. I have my set on "auto", but might try selecting different settings. The warning about the image is NOT the issue, some cameras reverse the video, some don't...som pioneer is warning you. You can set the radio to reverse the image if needed.

#27 ·
I put in a pioneer 4200 in a base (16.5). I used an aftermarket camera in the stock (for SL) camera housing, and ran an RCA cable myself. Works perfectly. Camera I used Amazon.com: Pyle PLCM12 Rearview Backup Parking Assist Camera (Waterproof Night Vision Cam, Distance Scale Line Display, Flush Mount): Automotive

You will also have to tap into a wire in the passenger rear taillight, and run it to the headunit to switch to camera with reverse, or you can wire to a switch at the dash to hot (advantage is you can turn on any time...).

With what you are saying though, and trying to use the harness you have, I would make sure the camera is plugged into the camera in (brownish yellow) and NOT the video in (bright yellow). Go into camera settings on the unit and make sure setting for backup camera is turned on (mine was NOT). If that does not work, make sure the camera/video (separate setting) is on, then try reverse and switch to camera selction on main radio menu. If you get the camera then, it is plugged into the video in vice backup. Finally, the pioneer takes several video formats for the camera. I have my set on "auto", but might try selecting different settings. The warning about the image is NOT the issue, some cameras reverse the video, some don't...som pioneer is warning you. You can set the radio to reverse the image if needed.
This is good advise. It is defiantly plugged into the brown connection. I might try a different video input like a portable DVD player to see if the camera is the issue or the head unit. I am convinced there isn't the proper power going to the camera via the harness and was told the base model folks who purchase and OEM camera are having similar issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.