Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Accidentally reversed cables on battery

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  DKF Texas 
#1 ·
I was not paying attention hooking up my new Optima marine battery and hooked all my positive wires to the negative post and ground to the positive it reversed polarity when I touched the bolt on the frame. It arked real good and I noticed a little bit of smoke coming from underneath the hood and dash area.

The good news is that it still cranks and I do not have a check engine light. The 12 v plug in between the seats does not work but all the fuses look good. I do not see anything burned but I am really worried.

Any advice besides slow down and pay more attention? Should I put original battery back in and carry it to dealer to have them look it over.

#3 ·
Check fuses and replace anything that looks fishy. Look very close for any wires that looked discolored or burnt.

Leave the new battery in there and put some hours on it.

Accidents happen and you have no signs of something being really messed up. The dealership most likely won't be that helpful unless you can see something wrong and need their expertise.

Reactions: getRdun
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.